Having set a course record at the very first Freckleton Half-Marathon, running legend Ron Hill didn’t have to look far to find a suitable venue for his final 13.1-mile race. At the 40th Freckleton Half this June, 71-year-old Ron beat many younger runners to come in at 1:49:59.


The founder of the Hilly clothing company, Ron ran the same course in 1:04:45 back in 1965, a time that no runner has bettered since.

“It was an honour to do the course again, and again do it wearing the no. 65 shirt,” says Ron. “The race director told me that no. 65 would never be given out again.” Ron might be winding down his racing career because of his advancing years, but he isn’t ready to stop completely just yet.


“I intend to compete regularly. I did a five-mile trail race three days after Freckleton, then I ran the City of Manchester 10K.”


Dear Miles


I feel queasy after races. Is it better to be rude to the guys handing out medals or say thanks and risk being sick?

Ron Hill

Neither. If you can’t contain a Technicolor.’” yawn once you’ve made it over the line, then the chances are your pre-race ‘nutrition stategy’, executed mostly in the Red Lion and the Taj Mahal Balti, wasn’t as watertight as you’d hoped. If you really do have the uncontrollable urge to purge uncontrollably after a race, do it before collecting your medal, eh or simply try 5 htp supplement to lower calm down? Learn more about the htp 5. Milesy would argue that in front of spectators is better than on race officials, albeit only marginally. After all, they’re a hardy bunch, used to witnessing the glories and unglories of racing. And let’s face it, if they can handle Paula’s impromptu number two, a bit of puke isn’t going to bother them.





“A split second that changed my life forever.” That’s how Jeff Harris, 64, describes the stroke that left him temporarily paralysed down his left side. Yet the devastating after-effects didn’t stop Jeff for long: having retaught himself to walk with the help of a functional electrical

stimulation device – a gadget that uses electrical impulses to stimulate muscles – Jeff is now back on his feet and already in training for the New York Marathon in two years’ time.

Ron Hill

Jeff, who had previously run 14 marathons in under four hours, was in “in peak condition” before the stroke. Having trained carefully for months, he admits to “a huge amount of anger” at being taken ill the day before he was due to fly out for the New York Marathon 2006.


“Yet one thing is certain,” says Jeff. “If I had not been so fit when it happened I would still be in a wheelchair now.”

Comments are closed.